The Hodgkinson Family Tree (including Sweetland and Cross).


Back e-mail Disclaimer Home

Famous namesakes and genealogy and history of the name.

The name Hodgkinson or Hodkinson appears to derive from the personal name Roger, essentially a name of French origin, which was unknown before the Norman Conquest of 1066. The baronial class installed by William the Conqueror spread the name widely throughout the English counties of Lancashire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire. The initial element Hodge appears to have developed as a rhyming nick-name for Roger/Roge while the 'kin' element represents a diminutive suffix, common in many names such as Atkinson, Wilkinson etc. The final element son is what it says, the son of. There is no real difference between the two main names, Hodgkinson and Hodkinson. Among the variants are; Hodskinson, Hadkinson, Hoskinson.

Also try this site that is devoted to genealogical research into the name HODGKINSON OF LANCASHIRE .

Hodgkinsons in the News - Hodgkinsons in the News - Hodgkinsons in the News - Hodgkinsons in the News

Bob Hodgkinson
Ex- British Airways Concorde engineer and Brooklands museum volunteer.
See also - Wing Commander Vic Hodgkinson

Clement Hodgkinson - English born Naturalist and Surveyor. Clement Hodgkinson in 1843 Australia, was the first white explorer to trek north from Kempsey to the Clarence River. Following the Tanban Road, which winds it way through the forest, from Collombatti to Eungai, was the original path used by the local Aboriginals as a link between the Macleay and Nambucca valleys.

In 1858 the Olinda Creek, a watercourse which runs northwards towards Lilydale was named after Alice Olinda Hodgkinson, the daughter of Acting Surveyor-General, Clement Hodgkinson. The Olinda township, with rural and scenic areas, 37 km. east of Melbourne and at the southern foot of Mount Dandenong name originates from Olinda Creek.

Clement was Australia's Victorian Assistant-Commissioner of Crown Lands and Survey 1861-74. He established a programme of reservation, regulation, administration and education to control the use of Victoria's forests, a model for the future forestry profession. On 6 March 1874, the Central Forest Board establishment to oversee the entire system. This board originally included, Clement Hodgkinson, but five days after his appointment he retired.


COLIN "HOPPY" HODGKINSON, who died aged 76, lost both his legs learning to fly, but, inspired by the example of the legless fighter ace Douglas Bader, became an accomplished fighter pilot in the RAF. Although he called himself "the poor man's Bader" Hodgkinson had no cause to cast himself as an understudy. Such was his courage that he succeeded despite bouts of claustrophobia and an admitted fear of flying and combat. He also had a horror of being forced to ditch in the Channel and stuffed his hollow legs with ping-pong balls, hoping that they would help to keep him afloat. Once, at 30,000 ft, he took violent evasive action before realising that what he had taken to be a clatter of gunfire was the noise of ping-pongballs exploding at that altitude. But his self-doubt was masked by the bluff, boisterous bonhomie that characterised not only his wartime career as a fighter pilot but also his postwar success in the competitive world of advertising and public relations. Hodgkinson was already beginning to be talked about as "a second Bader" when he joined No 611 squadron in June 1943. He flew Spitfires from Coltishall, Norfolk, under Wing-Commander "Laddie" Lucas, the hero of the Battle of Malta. One August morning Hodgkinson was part of an escort to 36 American B-26 bombers in an attack on Bernay airfield near Evreux, north-west of Paris. The wing was turning for home when more than 50 FW 190s appeared up-sun. The Luftwaffe fighter pilots fell upon the Spitfires. Lucas turned 611's Spitfires into the attack. There was a furious melee in which the squadron fought all the way back to the coast. Hodgkinson, remembering his father teaching him to shoot on the family's Somerset estate, shouted: "Swing with it" and. making a well judged beam-into-quarter attack, picked off a 190 and sent it spinning earthwards just as it.was fastening onto Lucas's tail. Lucas recalled: "It was an uncommonly quick and accurate piece of shooting. Hodgkinson contributed handsomely to a total of five 190s destroyed against two Spit's. "In 12 rough and eventful minutes Hodgkinson had demonstrated that, despite his massive disability, he could match his skills against the best that General Adolf Galland and his JagdBeschwader 26 had to offer." It was Hodgkinson's second "kill". Earlier he had shot down a FW 190 just off the end of Brighton pier. Colin Gerald Shaw Hodgkinson was born at Wells, Somerset, on Feb. 11 1920. His father had been awarded the MC and Bar as a Royal Flying Corps pilot in the First World War, and was to serve as an intelligence wing-commander in the Second World War. Hodgkinson's earliest memories of his father were of a powerful man in hunting pink. As he learned later, he was an outstanding Master of Foxhounds with the Mendip, a big-game hunter and a fine shot. Soon in the saddle himself, the squire's son followed his father's country pursuits until, being judged difficult and unruly, he was condemned to the harsh discipline of a cadetship at the Nautical College, Pangbourne. In the summer of 1938 Hodgkinson spent an idyllic holiday riding with the French Cavalry School at Saumur, in the Loire, before being accepted for pilot training as a midshipman in the Fleet Air Arm. After training aboard the aircraft carrier Courageous, he had gone solo and completed 20 hours in a Tiger Moth biplane trainer when he collided with another aircraft. At the time, acconipanied by his instructor, Hodgkinson was practicing blind flying on instruments with a hood over his head. The Tiger crashed from 800ft at Gravesend, killing the instructor and so grievously injuring Hodgkinson that his legs were amputated. During a long period in hospital he encountered Sir Archibald McIndoe who invited him to his celebrated wartime RAF plastic surgery unit at the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, for some work on his face. Although he was a naval type, Hodgkinson was welcomed into Mclndoe's Guinea Pig Club brotherhood of burned airmen. Such was their spirit that he determined to emulate Bader and to fly again. He set his heart on flying Spitfires and by the autumn of 1942 had wheedled his way out of the Navy and into the RAF as a pilot officer. He was briefly with No.131, a Spitfire squadron before moving on in the new year, successively to 610 and 510 squadrons. He learned his trade by flying sweeps over occupied France. The following March he was promoted Flying officer and in June joined 611, then in the famous Biggin Hill wing. After his August bomber escort exploit over France, Hodgkinson returned to 501 as a flight commander. In November, during a high altitude weather reconnaissance his oxygen supply failed, and he crashed into a French field. Badly mangled and minus one of his tin legs he was rescued from the blazing Spitfire by two farm workers. He was reunited with them in 1983, when they presented him with a part of his aircraft's propeller. He had not seen them since being stretchered away en route for a prisoner of war camp via a railway station where his guards abandoned him for some hours in a lavatory while they sheltered from air-raids. After 10 months Flt-Lt Hodgkinson was repatriated, being deemed of no further use to his country. Yet such was his irrepressible spirit, that after being mended again by McIndoe, he resumed flying, ending the war with a ferry unit at Filton, Bristol. This gave him, as he was to admit, the opportunity of indulging in some pocket-money smuggling, trading such "contraband" as nylons, utility cloth, tea and coffee for cases of brandy among other "imports". Once, he said, he carried gold in his tin legs. Although he was released from the service in 1946 Hodgkinson returned in 1949 as a weekend flyer. He became a jet pilot and flew Vampires with 501 and 604 squadrons of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force until the early 1950s. Civilian life presented fresh challenges, and he plunged enthusiastically into the postwar regeneration of advertising and public relations. From the agency Erwin Wasey he moved into PR, learned the ropes and broke away to establish Colin Hodgkinson Associates. With the drive and presson spirit he carried over from fighter days, Hodgkinson prospered, and attracted a mix of prestigious and solid industrial accounts. He also tried politics, standing as a Conservative in the safe Labour seat of South West Islington in the 1955 general election. He made an impressive debut and rediscovered his youthful boxing skills in a punch-up with Labour supporters. Articulate and a fluent writer, Hodgkinson was briefly air correspondent with the fledgling ITN. In 1957 he published "Best Foot Forward", an entertaining account of his life until then. In 1986 he moved permanently to his holiday home in the Dordogne. He married first June Hunter, a former fashion model. After her death he married Georgina, a Frenchwoman, who survives him. Acknowledgements to the Daily Telegraph, London.

Eaton A. Hodgkinson born 26 February 1789 – was an engineer specialising in the application of mathematics to structural design.
Hodgkinson worked with Sir William Fairbairn on the design of iron beams on the Water Street bridge for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1828-30. 
Hodgkinson was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1841.
He and Fairbairn were consultants on Robert Stephenson's novel tubular design for the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Strait that opened in 1850.
Died 18 June 1861.

Frank Hodgkinson After service as an official World War II artist, Frank Hodgkinson left Australia in 1947 to study and travel throughout Europe. During this period he took some lessons at S.W. Hayter's Atelier 17 in Paris. He returned to Sydney in 1953. Then, after winning the inaugural Helena Rubinstein Scholarship in 1958, he took up residence in Spain; John Olsen was living nearby. On a number of occasions in the 1960s Hodgkinson returned to Australia for exhibitions. During a trip to Perth in 1969 he was invited to travel through the north-west of the state. The journey reawakened his need for the Australian landscape and resulted in his relocation to Queensland at the end of 1970.In 1971 Hodgkinson welcomed Clifton Pugh's invitation to visit him at 'Dunmoochin'. He joined Pugh and John Olsen at this artists' colony on the outskirts of Melbourne at Cottles Bridge. Pugh, who had recently returned from S.W. Hayter's school, was keen to experiment with the oil viscosity etching process, and his enthusiasm proved to be a major stimulus for Hodgkinson's printmaking. Within a short period he produced two suites of prints, Inside the Landscape and Landscape Inside, and, jointly with Pugh, a book of prints and the poems of Harry Roschenko, titled IS. In his figurative landscapes, time-worn lines become rich and sensuous - full of colour and texture in a joyous celebration of female and landscape forms. At the end of 1971 Hodgkinson left the artists' colony to visit the Australian outback which has continued to fascinate him and stimulate his work.

Harold L. Hodgkinson -- born in 1931 - One of America's leading educational demographers. Harold "Bud" Hodgkinson is the director of the Center for Demographic Policy at the Institute for Educational Leadership in Washington, D.C. He is also a fellow of the American Council on Education. He's a widely known lecturer and writer He holds a bachelor of arts from Minnesota, a master's from Wesleyan, and doctorate from Harvard. He also has 12 honorary degrees. He is a former president of the American Association for Higher Education, which is an elected position. In 1989 he was one of three Americans awarded the title "Distinguished Lecturer" by the National Science Foundation. He has written 12 books, three of which have won national awards, and more than 200 articles. Like us, he has also been an editor. In his case, of several journals, including the "Harvard Educational Review" and the "Journal of Higher Education."

Joseph Hodgkinson (the second son of Richard Hodgkinson 1763 - 1847) was appointed vicar of Leigh (Lancashire?) and caused a public furore in 1822 when he nominated a curate, Birkett, to the Astley Chapel. A number of anonymous pamphlets appeared criticising in the most vitriolic manner the choice of Joseph and his father. The incident probably contributed to Joseph's death in a lunatic asylum at the age of 30.

Liz Hodgkinson
See also
Will Hodgkinson journalist and author - son
Tom Hodgkinson editor of The Idler - son
Neville Hodgkinson science writer - husband
Liz Hodgkinson non-fiction writer and journalist, radical feminist and author of "Sex Is Not Compulsory".

Lorna Myrtle Hodgkinson, 1887 - 1951 Lorna Myrtle Hodgkinson was born in Melbourne in 1887 to Albert James Hodgkinson and his wife Ada Josephine, (née Edmiston). She was educated at Claremont Training College, Perth and taught in Perth and Sydney before transferring to the State Children's Relief Department after which she taught backward and delinquent children at Carlingford for two years. In 1922 she became the first woman to receive a D. Educ from Harvard University in the United States. Between 1923 and 1924 she was the Superintendent of Education for the mentally defective in New South Wales. Lorna Myrtle Hodgkinson never married and passed away in Sydney on the 24th March 1951. The above notes are adapted from a brief entry in 'A Biographical Register, 1788 - 1939, Notes from the name index of the Australian Dictionary of Biography', compiled and edited by H.J. Gibbney and Ann G, Smith.


Mike Hodgkinson - The Chief Executive of the British Airports Authority (BAA) who own and operate a number of airports, including London, Heathrow - the worlds most active international airport.




Neville Hodgkinson
See also
Will Hodgkinson journalist and author - son
Tom Hodgkinson editor of The Idler - son
Liz Hodgkinson non-fiction writer and journalist - wife
Neville Hodgkinson medical science writer and Yogi follower of the Brahma Kumaris.

Peter Hodgkinson - Head of Build at multiple World Champions Mercedes GP
Up to 1986 educated in Auckland. New Zealand
1986 – Mechanic at Roush Racing in the USA
1988  - Chief Mechanic at Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR) in the UK
1998 - Team Manager at Panoz Motor Sports Group in the USA
1999 – started work at the Mercedes GP team in the UK

Randall Hodgkinson Grand Prize Winner of the International American Music Competition. Randall Hodgkinson has performed with orchestras in Atlanta, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Boston, Cleveland and abroad in Italy and Iceland. He is an artist member of the Boston Chamber Music Society, and he performs the four-hand and two-piano repertoire with his wife Leslie Amper. Mr. Hodgkinson is on the faculty of the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston, and the Longy School of Music in Cambridge. His world premiere of the Piano Concerto by Gardner has been released on Albany Records. His other recordings include solo works by Roger Sessions and Donald Martino for the New World label, chamber music with the Boston Chamber Music Society for Northeastern Records, and the Morton Gould Concerto with the Albany Symphony for Albany Records. He has recorded for Ongaku Records.

Richard Hodgkinson, England 1763 - 1847 From humble beginnings as a school usher, Richard Hodgkinson rose to a position of political prominence in the first half of the 19th Century. His first position of importance was as the steward to Henrietta Maria Atherton who held significant landholdings in Atherton and Herefordshire. When the Lancaster Canal Company threatened to build a canal along the edge of her Atherton estate he embarked on a period of intense political lobbying to prevent the destruction of the rural view from the house to the parish church at Leigh. The intense lobbying paid off, the bill was ultimately thrown out by the House of Commons and his young mistress prevailed. His strong beliefs allowed him membership of the reactionary Bolton Pitt Club, a movement notorious for its opposition to parliamentary reform and catholic emancipation. His 'High Tory' principles and fear of popular uprising allied him closely to the magistrates Hulton and Fletcher who were both implicated in the Peterloo Massacre of 1819. His second son Joseph was appointed vicar of Leigh and caused a public furore in 1822 when he nominated a curate, Birkett, to the Astley Chapel. The incident probably contributed to Joseph's death in a lunatic asylum at the age of 30. The affair cast a pall over the family from which they never fully recovered. Richard Hodgkinson's life and career summarised in the book 'A Lancashire Gentleman' edited by Florence and Kenneth Wood and published by Alan Sutton Publishing.

Tim Hodgkinson Perhaps best known as a founding member of 70s progressive rock group Henry Cow. Tim has since displayed many musical personalities. British-born guitarist Fred Frith, founder-member of mythic Henry Cow has said "Henry Cow started as a blues band. That's what we were doing. I met Tim Hodgkinson in a blues club. We evolved into other things simply because, at that time and in that place, so much was going on that we discovered new things almost hourly. I can remember a day when I heard "Big Pink" by The Band, and the first Beefheart record, and Frank Zappa all on one afternoon. " Tim Hodgkinson's new album "Sang" is another intense collision of contemporary classical music and rock energy. "Argon" on Freak records, included the presence of ex-Henry Cow-er Tim Hodgkinson, who really howls up a storm on the horn.

Tom Hodgkinson
See also
Will Hodgkinson journalist and author - brother
Neville Hodgkinson science writer - father
Liz Hodgkinson non-fiction writer and journalist - mother
Tom Hodgkinson editor of The Idler and co-producer of the "Crap Towns" series of books.
(The Idler was originally a series of essays written by Dr Johnson from 1758 to 1760.)

Tommy Hodgkinson - English Rugby League Hooker / Looseforward. Born: 15/04/1970. Now signed for the Vikings Previously at Lancashire Lynx, Swinton Lions, Bradford Bulls, St Helens.

Toni Hodgkinson -- Date of Birth: 12 December 1971 - : Auckland - Club: North Harbour Bays - Coach: John Davies Toni's career began in the mid 1980's and as a 15 year . At 18 Toni ran at the Auckland Commonwealth Games making the 800m final. & Field Championships, her last New Zealand team until 1996. Since that , Toni has been a permanent fixture in New Zealand's top teams. Toni Hodgkinson came into prominence on the world 1996 with the best racing seen from a New Zealand woman in recent times. In the build-up to Atlanta, Toni set two 800m, the second making her the first New Zealand woman under the 2 minute barrier. At the , she went even better and qualified for the final with 1m 58.25s, before finishing 8th, a remarkable effort. Her early can look forward to the World Championships with renewed vigour. In , the year after the Olympics, Toni finished 6th in the World final. Profile by John Clark August 1999.

Toni Hodgkinson produced her best 800m run for three years to qualify for the Olympic Games on the final day of the Australian track and field championships here yesterday. Hodgkinson, who has struggled in recent seasons to match her form of 1996-97 when she reached the final of the 800m at the Atlanta Olympics, was pipped by 0.1 seconds by Australian Tamsyn Lewis in a thrilling finish at Stadium Australia.  Source: The Evening Post, Australia 02/28/2000

Vic Hodgkinson
Wing Commander Vic Hodgkinson, who has died aged 94, hunted U-boats and their supply ships in the North Atlantic and attacked Japanese targets later in the war.

He flew his first operation in March 1940, followed by many convoy patrols. He was particularly busy during the evacuation of British forces from France in June 1940. On June 19 his aircraft took the Colonial Secretary, Lord Lloyd, to Bordeaux to try to persuade Admiral Darlan not to allow French warships to fall into German hands. The delegation did not receive a warm welcome.

In December, flying from Oban, Scotland, Hodgkinson made a determined but unsuccessful attack on a submarine, which he had encountered while supporting a convoy. Two months later he had another encounter with a U-boat, which he depth-charged and forced to dive. This gave the convoy he was protecting time to steam clear of the danger area and an escorting corvette carried on the attack and drove the U-boat away.

On April 28 1941, Hodgkinson was returning from a patrol short of fuel and in dense fog. His Sunderland flying boat crashed into the Irish Sea and broke up, killing six of his crew. The five survivors spent the next 10 hours in a three-man dinghy before they were rescued.

On his final patrol, on December 23, Hodgkinson was over the Bay of Biscay when he sighted an 8,000-ton tanker heading into the Atlantic. When he challenged the vessel, she responded with a false name. After his headquarters radioed him to attack, he dropped six depth charges and two bombs, scoring a hit which caused the tanker to list.

His aircraft was damaged by anti-aircraft fire and forced to return to Plymouth, but Hodgkinson’s sighting prompted a determined hunt, and over the next 24 hours the tanker was shadowed and attacked. After being struck by a torpedo, she was forced to beach on the Spanish coast. The ship turned out to be Benno, a captured Norwegian oil tanker being used to refuel U-boats at sea.

Victor Alean Hodgkinson was born near Sydney, Australia, on October 17 1916 and educated at Sydney Technical High School. After becoming a pilot with the RAAF he was posted abroad for flying boat training.

Thus he was in Britain at the outbreak of war and, when the Australian government ordered 10 (RAAF) Squadron to assist the war effort, Hodgkinson soon joined it.

After his tour of duty in Britain, for which he was mentioned in despatches, Hodgkinson returned to Australia and joined 20 (RAAF) Squadron, flying Catalina flying boats. Based in the north of Queensland, he attacked Japanese shipping around New Guinea and bombed targets in the Solomon Islands. The Catalina was also used to drop supplies to the Allied “coast-watchers” in New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. Some of these flights were of 25 hours duration.

After completing 44 long-range operations in the south-west Pacific campaign, Hodgkinson was awarded a DFC and sent as chief flying instructor to a flying boat training unit. Towards the end of the war he formed and commanded 40 (RAAF) Squadron flying Sunderlands from Port Moresby, New Guinea. He left the RAAF in May 1946 and returned to England, where he joined BOAC as a pilot. Hodgkinson flew the airline’s civil Sunderland conversions (Hythes, Sandringhams and Solents) before, in 1950, transferring to Argonauts and Britannias. He was one of the early Comet captains, and finished his flying career on the Boeing 707. He retired in 1971, having amassed 19,300 hours, including some 4,300 hours on flying boats.

Hodgkinson and his wife settled at Lymington, Hampshire, where he helped restore a Short Sandringham flying boat which became the central exhibit at the Southampton Hall of Aviation, of which he was a trustee.

Vic Hodgkinson died on November 20. He married in 1941, and his wife survives him with their three sons, two of whom followed him into British Airways. - 27 Dec 2010

Virginia A. Hodgkinson Sponsor of the "Virginia A. Hodgkinson Research Prize".

Will Hodgkinson
See also
Tom Hodgkinson editor of The Idler - brother
Neville Hodgkinson science writer - father
Liz Hodgkinson non-fiction writer and journalist - mother
Will Hodgkinson is a journalist and author - rock & pop critic for The Times – presenter of the Sky Arts TV show.
Author of The House Is Full Of Yogis,The Ballad Of Britain, Guitar Man and Song Man.

William Oswald Hodgkinson, 1835 - 1900 - - - was a prominent member of the entrepreneurial class in North Queensland during the early years of the 'gold rushes' and had a colourful and somewhat chequered career arising out of a presumably middle class upbringing in industrial England in the mid-nineteenth century. He was born in Handsworth, Warwickshire on the 31st March, 1835, the son of William Hodgkinson and Harriet (née Browne). He received his early education at Bewdley Park, Worcestershire before attending Birmingham Grammar School. In 1851 he entered the Mercantile Marine as a midshipman and on arrival in Australia later that year he obtained a position as a licensing clerk at Castlemaine, Victoria. Shortly afterwards he was put in charge of the Tarnagulla Goldfield. However, in 1854 he resigned on the outbreak of the Crimean War and returned to England where he was appointed as a clerk in the Horse Guards Department in the War Office in London. In 1859 he returned to Victoria and joined the Melbourne Age as a reporter and was then promoted to sub-editor. In 1860 he accompanied the initial stages of the Burke and Wills expedition and in 1861 was appointed as second-in-command of McKinley's relief expedition which ended at Port Denison in 1862. Continuing his journalistic career he moved to Queensland where he became editor of the Rockhampton Bulletin. He started up the Rockhampton Morning News in 1864 as a bi-weekly journal with partners O'Meagher and Druery. The venture apparently failed but it was about this time that he married Kate Robertson. In 1866 he moved on into the new sugar area of Mackay where he established the Mercury newspaper, however he sold his interest and returned to Rockhampton.
In the late 1860s he was obviously struck by gold fever and floated several gold mining companies and was appointed secretary of the Pioneer Quartz Crushing Company. This interest took him to the Cape River Goldfield where he erected a milling machine in 1869, becoming the local agent for the Cape River Quartz Crushing Co. in 1870. Later he moved on to Ravenswood where he helped establish the Lady Marian 10 head stamp battery. He also spent some time on the Etheridge Goldfield during the period 1870 to 1874. He is reported as nearly drowning at Bowen in 1871 ! Clearly undaunted by this close call he stood for Parliament and was elected to the Legislative Assembly for the Burke District on 4th December 1873 until 14th September, 1875. In 1874 James Venture Mulligan named the Hodgkinson River after him. In 1876 he was appointed leader of the Northwest Expedition sent out to explore the region of the Diamantina River. The party started at the Cloncurry River in May of that year and crossed the watershed to the Diamantina which they followed south. After reaching Lake Coongi in South Australia they turned west and a stream they discovered between the Diamantina and the Herbert they named after Mulligan. They then followed this river and then the Herbert northwards towards the Gulf of Carpentaria, finally returning to Brisbane by way of Normanton, Cloncurry and the Flinders River. This expedition effectively bridged the gap between the point where Sturt was foiled for want of water in 1845 and the extreme point of Landsborough's exploration of the Herbert in 1862. He returned to the goldfields from 1877 onwards in the capacity of Warden at the Etheridge and the Palmer until 1881 when he was removed from office pending an inquiry into an official report he had written boosting a mine in which the temporary Minister, Sir Thomas McIlwraith, had a significant interest. By 1884 he had been apparently cleared by the enquiry and was appointed Relieving Police Magistrate for Queensland. From this position he was the appointed the Central Sugar Mills Commissioner to investigate proposed mill sites. The year of 1887 found him as Police Magistrate at Gympie. He then re-entered politics, again as Member for the Legislative Assembly for the Burke Electorate. His political career culminated in his appointment as Secretary for Mines and Works in the first Griffith Ministry between 12th December 1887 and 13th June 1888, a post he held again under Griffith from 12th August 1890 until 27th March 1893. In that year he was defeated in the state elections and headed off to the recently discovered goldfields of Western Australia where he represented numerous English Mining Syndicates. 1896 finds him in Sydney and in 1899 he was the first editor of the Queensland Government Mining Journal. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Geological Society and received a Gold Medal from the Royal Geographical Society. He died on the 23rd July, 1900 in Brisbane at the age of 65.

Back e-mail Disclaimer Home

V1.5 - 9 November 2017 ---- recommended resolution (1366 x 768)

© David Hodgkinson 2000-2017. All rights reserved.